How to Change the Desktop and Explorer Folder Icons in Windows
The following steps will change the icon that is displayed as the default Folder icon.
- Start the Registry Editor.
- Search for “Shell Icons”.
- This will bring you to HKEYLOCALMACHINE / SOFTWARE / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / explorer / Shell Icons.
- Double-click on the one has the value name of “3” in the right pane.
- Type in the new icon you want to use.
- If you have a DLL file specified, you need to count for the location of the particular icon you want to use, starting at 0.
- To reset the icon cache, use a program such as Tweak with comes with the PowerToys from Microsoft.
Note: I haven’t experimented with too many of the other icon changes possible.