How to Change the Desktop and Explorer Folder Icons in Windows
Changing the Desktop and Explorer Folder Icons
The following steps will change the icon that is displayed as the default Folder icon.
- Start the Registry Editor.
- Search for “Shell Icons”.
- This will bring you to HKEYLOCALMACHINE / SOFTWARE / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / explorer / Shell Icons.
- Double-click on the one has the value name of “3” in the right pane.
- Type in the new icon you want to use.
- If you have a DLL file specified, you need to count for the location of the particular icon you want to use, starting at 0.
- To reset the icon cache, use a program such as Tweak with comes with the PowerToys from Microsoft.
Note: I haven’t experimented with too many of the other icon changes possible.