What is the difference between Data and Information
In this blog, we are going to learn about data and information in detail with examples.
- Data means value or set of values . Data items refers to a single unit of values.
- Data is represented in the from of text/numbers/figures/ tables/graphs/pictures etc. A computer Language is incomplete without data.
Information is derived from data, such as:
From the score of an individual cricket player we can draw following information:
- Total Runs Scored
- Highest score
- Strike rate
- No. of Sixes
- No. of fours
- This information helps the planners/analysts/to make decisions.
- Info. In Computer: A computer is an electronic device that manipulates the information presented in the form of data.
- Data: Data is nothing but a collection of numbers, alphabets and symbols combined to represent information.
- Entity: An entity possesses some attributes and some values can be allocated to it. E.g. student entity in a college.
Fields, Records and Files
- The way data is organized into hierarchy of fields, records and files reflect relationship between attributes, entities and entity sets.
- Field is single elementary unit of information representing an attribute of an entity.
- Record is collection of field values of given entity.
- File is collection of records of entities in a given entity set.
- Records may be fixed length or variable length.
- Fixed Length Records:- All the records contain same data items with same amount of space assigned to each data item.
- Variable Length Records:- All the records contain same data items with same amount of space assigned to each data item.
- Example Mobile number record-Some will have 1 mobile numbers others may have 2 or more.
- Students can opt for varied courses. Some are taking 6 courses while some have 5 courses.