What is the story behind Java
Here are the top ten points about how Java came into existence.
- Java was developed by James Gosling, who is known as the father of Java, in 1995. James Gosling and his team members started the project in the early ’90s. Currently, Java is used in internet programming, mobile devices, games, e-business solutions, etc. … The small team of sun engineers called Green Team.
- Initially it was designed for small, embedded systems in electronic appliances like set-top boxes.
- It was called “Greentalk” by James Gosling, and the file extension was .gt.
- After that, it was called Oak and was developed as a part of the Green project.
- Oak is a symbol of strength and chosen as a national tree of many countries like the U.S.A., France, Germany, Romania, etc.
- In 1995, Oak was renamed as “Java” because it was already a trademark by Oak Technologies.
- The team gathered to choose a new name. The suggested words were “dynamic”, “revolutionary”, “Silk”, “jolt”, “DNA”, etc. They wanted something that reflected the essence of the technology: revolutionary, dynamic, lively, cool, unique, and easy to spell, and fun to say.
- According to James Gosling, “Java was one of the top choices along with Silk”. Since Java was so unique, most of the team members preferred Java than other names.
- Java is an island in Indonesia where the first coffee was produced (called Java coffee). It is a kind of espresso bean. Java name was chosen by James Gosling while having a cup of coffee nearby his office.
- Initially developed by James Gosling at Sun Microsystems (which is now a subsidiary of Oracle Corporation) and released in 1995.
Note: Java is just a name, not an acronym.